All units at The Detroit Savings Bank building (1212 Griswold) are pre-wired for 1-Gigabit Ethernet. There is an Ethernet port in each apartment available for customer use.
The Ethernet port is turned OFF by default. To activate the port you first need to setup an account in our system. Getting started is quick and easy, please follow these steps to help get up and running quickly:
1. Place an order here: DSB Apartments Order Here
On the order form please indicate when you would like your service activated. Your payment will be scheduled to post on the requested activation date. If there is a problem with your payment you will receive an email with instructions on how to update your payment method; Once payment clears your Ethernet port will automatically be activated.
2. Locating your unit's Ethernet port
The Ethernet port in your unit is located on the wall of the utility/laundry closet. This closet is located in different locations depending on your unit. For assistance finding the closet, please refer to these floor plans:
Most people install their router in this utility closet. There is a power outlet on the wall and is centrally located for the unit.
You will find two Ethernet wires in the laundry closet. Sometimes the wires are in an access panel. The wires will both have about 3 feet of slack and terminated with an Ethernet jack on the end. One of the wires connects to LightSpeed Internet service. The other wire connects to the secondary Ethernet port in your living area.
Connect the LightSpeed line to your "Internet port" on your router. When you connect the line, the link light or Internet light will illuminate on your router. If the light does not turn on when you connect the line, you connected the wrong line - switch to the other line and the light will turn on.
You can next connect the secondary line to the "inside / switch / private" ports on your router. This will allow you to use a hard-line to connect your entertainment system/TV. (we recommend hard-line ethernet for TV's because they have notoriously bad wi-fi capability.)
If your router is new, please follow your router's setup process. This is unique to every router, so just follow the instructions that came with your router. (this is usually automatic)
If your router was used with another ISP, we recommend following the process to "reset to factory default" - this is usually a recessed button on the router you use a paperclip to depress for 5-10 seconds; please refer to your router's user manual for details. Resetting to factory default will insure you have removed all prior ISP settings and start with a clean setup. Once you reset, follow the new router setup instructions that came with your router. (usually an automatic process after you reset to factory)
Alternatively, if you prefer to install your router in the living area you will need an Ethernet coupler to connect the two Ethernet lines together in the closet. This coupler from Amazon will work well: Ethernet Coupler
By connecting the two lines together in the utility closet, the Internet service will be extended to the Ethernet jack in your living area. This means you will connect the line in your living area to the Internet port on your router.
3. Router selection - As with any Internet service, you need a router to allow multiple devices in your home to share the Internet connection. The router connects to the Ethernet port in your unit and acts as the "firewall" between all of your devices and allows them all to share your connection to the public Internet. Just about any router will work with our system but for the best experience we recommend routers with a) Gigabit capability and b) AC-1900 WiFi or better.
For more information on selecting a router, please refer to this article:
Wi-Fi interference can be a major issue in apartment buildings. That is because many units are all trying to use the same frequencies for their routers. For this reason, we recommend you hard-set your devices to use only "5G" signals and avoid 2.4G signals. 2.4G signals are plagued with interference because there are only 3 non-interfering channels whereas 5G has up to 27 available channels. If you use 2.4G signals in the DSB building you will have service problems. 5G is the most stable in apartment buildings.
For more information on optimizing your Wi-Fi connection, please see this article:
4. Billing - Your service will renew on a month-to-month basis on the anniversary of your activation date. The monthly service fee will be collected automatically from your credit card on file. If your payment fails you will receive notice via email with instructions how to update your payment. There is a 5-day grace period for payments, after which your service will automatically be disabled.
5. Support - If you need any help setting up or using your service, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - This email address is monitored by our support and service delivery teams. This is always the best and fastest way to get to the best person for your question.
6. Cancellation - If you wish to cancel your service, please provide us a 30-day notice via email to email@example.com. You can cancel anytime, your service is sold on a month-to-month basis. However, please submit your request in writing from the billing email account. If you have any LightSpeed rental equipment, it must be returned before your cancellation will be processed.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS. We are super excited to get you connected and hope you enjoy your service!